Popular Posts

Monday, March 20, 2017

Review by Actress and filmmaker, Penelope Read

Review of Words and Music, The Story Behind the Song
Penelope Read, actress and filmmaker
By Rebecca Hosking

As I read this, I felt as though   Rebecca was in the room with me, so conversational was her style, yet her eloquence pulled me up sharply with its aching honesty.  The ideas and images she writes about are so vivid, the metaphors so apt, that everything she says is easy to understand and inspires empathy. The overriding message of this story is one of positivity, in fact, much of Rebecca’s writing is inspirational.

I especially liked the idea that even the bad times can be made useful, by incorporating the feelings into a song! ‘As I trip over myself and try again’ (In Over My Head)  In ‘A Hard Dream To Sell’, Rebecca urges us to follow our dreams, even though it’s difficult to combine dream-chasing with reality.

I enjoyed  ‘Riding Shotgun’ – it is full of the courage it takes to launch off on your own.  It ties in well with A Hard Dream to Sell – we have to carry on with that dream-chasing and change it into reality.

My favourite of all is ‘Safe Haven’ – many of us have a happy place – our den, the garden, the beach, but the idea of a safe haven within oneself had never occurred to me. Rebecca has offered me ‘ a doorway into a corridor’. Brilliant metaphor!

This story behind the song is achingly honest, not least in ‘Trouble Comforting ‘ – perhaps we heal ourselves, in helping others. The idea of impermanence is reassuring – even the worst pain passes in time, even if we have to ‘stumble through it’!

I’m so glad I discovered both the songs and the story behind them.  Rebecca has made me think, inspired and comforted me.  I will remember her words.


Penelope Read - Actress and Filmmaker, Trained singer who took up acting in 2006.Experienced in TV, Film, Corporate events, Murder Mysteries, and commercials



No comments:

Post a Comment