Popular Posts

Sunday, May 26, 2013

One Man's Sacrifices

I grew up in a military family. My father took us everywhere he was stationed when he could and we traveled all over the world. As a child this was so exciting to me, seeing new places, meeting new people. Even though we were never in one place for very long, I made friendships that lasted a lifetime.

I remember once my father and I were hanging out. It was a quiet Sunday morning much like today. We sat out on my back porch over a steaming hot cup of coffee. He told me how sorry he was for dragging us kids all over and  he wished that he had provided a more stable environment for us. I saw the sincerity in his eyes. He honestly thought we should have had more than what he offered.

My upbringing was interesting to say the least and adventurous to say the most. There is not one experience if given the chance to do over, that I would do anything differently.  I love the sense of curiosity our travels created in my own life. The eagerness to see first hand how others live. Because of him I was taught to see the world from many different perspectives; that was a gift greater than anything money could buy.

My father was the one who made all the sacrifices. He volunteered and served in the Vietnam War and then put in many years after, serving his country and the people he held dear. He was away from his family at times and did that so he could better himself and provide for us all. I love and respect him for the sacrifices he made. But most of all I love him for the values he taught me.

There were many in my family who served and I have the good fortune of still having them with me and yet there were so many others that paid the ultimate price. It takes a certain kind of individual to serve selflessly for our country. I want to give them all my deepest, sincerest gratitude. I also want to thank my father for his service, thank my uncles, cousins, brother, friends and all of those who have fought for the freedoms we often take for granted.

I know my father is flying his flag today as he does every day and tomorrow on Memorial Day he will honor and remember the ones that came before and after him. I want to wish everyone a wonderful 3 day weekend and ask as we enjoy the day off to remember the ones to which this day is celebrated.

Happy Memorial Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment