Popular Posts

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Nothing is Certain and Sacrifice is Always Steep

I find comfort in dependability, however, living a life of chaos and uncertainties is the life of a creative person. Often times we do not know where our next paycheck is coming from or if one is even coming at all. We spend a lot of time alone and contemplating.

Contemplation is a valuable tool for the creative types. It keeps us in check so we do not stray too far from the real world. I myself contemplate scenarios of destitute situations, because I fear them so much, I'm always sure to work stable incomes while pursuing my dreams. When I was younger, I wouldn't think twice of chucking it all, selling everything I owned and simply seeing where the map would take me. But as I got older, my fearless spirit started to fade. Please do not get me wrong, this may work for some favorably, but for me, I need certainties. 

These certainties are not easily obtained. Working a stable 9 to 5 Monday through Friday is a sure way to give you that certain income until your next big break, but like all good things, nothing is permanent. That stable income zaps us of our energy and freelance way of
Photo taken by Rebecca Hosking, Mexico
thinking. After all, it is the sense of freedom that feeds our creativity.


Balance is key and not only do the creative types have issues with balance but we all do at some point or another. We are truly all in this one together; work life, home life, spouses and children all demand our time and in order to be successful in any venture you embark on it takes 100% of your efforts. You know what they say, nothing worth fighting for ever comes with out a fight.

This is where I need help and cannot offer any sound advice but in fact would love input from those of you who have found a balance. My career consumes majority of my life. I remember when I first started out and I wanted to be a songwriter. I recall a conversation I was having with my brother in law. I was complaining about how hard it was to make anything happen with my music, his comment to me was, "well, exactly what have you been doing in order to make it as a songwriter?"

This statement immediately sent me in the defensive mode and I argued I was doing a lot, then after re-evaluating my progress I thought that maybe I was not really doing enough. This sent me into a total, off the charts, obsession to never be called out like that ever again. So I plunged forward and did not relent. From that point on I was full speed ahead. Now if someone asks me that question I have a whole laundry list of actions I have taken, but that laundry list of actions came with a price. 

It is easy to say you are willing to sacrifice anything in order to achieve a certain goal but until the sacrifice is actually made you do not fully appreciate the magnitude of your choices.

I'm still working on balance and I guess I will forever be stumped by this dilemma. The business of creativity is at times frustrating and extremely difficult to make a steady balanced living. We have to go into this work with the attitude it is what it is, I am who I am and there fore I will always be me. The statistics of successful high paid creative people is a small one, but that does not mean you cannot be who you were meant to be. 

The business in fact exists because someone made it, no reason why that someone cannot be you or me? The trick is to not let the pursuit dictate every move. It is a demanding job to say the least, the clock never stops for a creative person. If I knew a way to always be available for every opportunity out there without sacrificing quality time with others I would jump on the chance and employ the strategy forevermore. 

I do not think we should ever settle for second best and I definitely do not think you should ever give up on your dreams, but be mindful and always move forward with a pure heart. Stay true to yourself and the rest will follow, at least that is what I always tell myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment